Friday, October 17, 2014

Altar de dia de muertos / Day of the dead altar in my studio


It is that time of the year again when the days are getting colder,
nice cozy sweaters and hot drinks, my favorites are, black vanilla tea with 
a little milk and ponche for this season, it´s a traditional hot ponche made
with the fruits of the season, here is a recipe if you want to try it!  It´s
in Spanish so you´ll need the google translator!

So I decided to put my day of the dead altar this year, I usually don´t
´cause the purpose of it is to celebrate the dead and fortunately I still have 
every loved one in my life, thank you God!  But I love this altars and so
I had fun putting it up, here is my wall of inspiration on Pinterest I used for it,
I hope you will enjoy it too as well as my process in how I did this!

I used styrofoam skulls from the craft store and painted them all withs
guess first and prepared a papier mache heart...



I had this piece of super strong cardboard and cuted the top 
to make it curved, the studio of course
was super messy until finished! I also tried to used all I 
already had and I didm´t buy anything 
extra but every time I go to the craft store I get tons of 
stuff for latter so when creativity strikes
I am super ready!



More guesso! :)
I love using it, I love the smell 
and what it does!


How about some lights?  I would prefer some yellow but this is what I had!


Then I painted the skulls, this was super fun and I used inspiration form Pinterest!




I love that they look happy and no spooky at all! :)
Is it me or they move their eyes?  In every photo it looks like they 
are looking at you, now that´s a little spooky! 


I used one of my paintings, she reminds me of a vampire or 
something like that so that´s why I picked her!




Hello!!  I worked hard but it´s finally coming together!



Voila! This is how it looks in the daylight!

"The fear of death is the most unjustified 
of all fears, for there's no risk of accident 
for someone who's dead." 
--Albert Einstein





When the day approaches, November 2nd, I will add some fruit
 and  the tradition day of the dead bread, my favorite!  for now, 
it stays like that and will accompany me on my daily work at the studio!  

And this is how it looks like at night!






So you see how simple it is to have fun? I used very simple 
objects and I am super happy with how it turned out, 
I hope you enjoyed! ;)

 "Life is eternal, and love is immortal,
and death is only a horizon;
and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight."
--Rossiter Worthington Raymond


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your sweet comments!